English plus Golf

English plus Golf experience at BROWNS on the Gold Coast.

Hello, I am Yusuke, a high school student. It’s already been a month and a half since I came to to study at BROWNS English Language School on the Gold Coast, Australia.

It was relatively recently around October or November last year (2022) that I started thinking about studying abroad. As I started to see the end of high school, when I thought about what I could have done this year, I was able to get good grades in my studies and club activities, but other than that, I didn’t take any particular action. In my second year of high school, I started studying for university entrance exams, and I don’t really have time to go abroad. That’s what made me want to study abroad. I think that the fact that there were two other students from the same grade who went abroad for a year to study abroad had no small effect. I didn’t have enough time to prepare, but thanks to the support of my parents, school teachers, and agents, I was able to leave Japan safely.

My study abroad this time was a ‘language study abroad’ plus ‘golf study abroad‘ (English plus Golf). My aim is not only to improve my English and communication skills, but also to develop my way of seeing and thinking by gaining new values through this study abroad experience, and to gain experience that will be useful for my future. In addition to this, I would like to give a good stimulus to my future golfing life by becoming more serious about golf and practicing in Australia, where the practice environment is more fulfilling than in Japan.

In this letter, I will write about my experiences since arriving in Australia.

The Gold Coast is located relatively close to Japan, about 8 hours by air and +1 hour time difference! I left Japan on the night of 3rd February 2023 and arrived in Australia early the next morning. Because we left at night, I slept on the plane and arrived when I woke up. It was not a particularly comfortable sleep, but when I got off the plane, I realised that Australia is in the opposite season to Japan and the Gold Coast has a climate similar to late August or early September in Japan, which felt very hot to me coming from Japan in winter. Unlike summer in Japan, summer on the Gold Coast is not as humid and muggy, but the sun is very strong and I basically wear sunglasses outside.

I was expecting something like a ‘Welcome Yusuke’ with a banner, but of course I was a bit surprised. However, the driver of the car (BROWNS Airport Pick up) was very friendly and told me a lot about Australia until we arrived at the homestay house, so I was not bored on the way. When you are in a car, the car lane is the same left lane as in Japan! When I realized that, I was surprised because I had thought that most of foreign countries were in the right lane. The view of Australia from the window was naturally very different from that of Japan, with no towering office buildings and a clear blue sky.

Gold Coast

When we arrived at our homestay home, we were greeted by our host family. The host family is a Turkish-New Zealand couple and they have a 15-year-old boy. The boy had won a tennis tournament and his host father is also a tennis coach, so he sometimes came home late at night for practice. The house had a swimming pool, and I was so excited! I couldn’t be happier to be in the pool every day in the summer. After that, I played a bit of table tennis with my host brother and had a chat with him, and spent the rest of the day taking a nap in my room, not going anywhere in particular, as I knew I would be tired on the first day of school.

Homestay on the Gold Coast

As our arrival was on a Saturday, the next day, Sunday, we went to a shopping centre with our host family. The inside of the shopping centre is very spacious and it is sometimes difficult to find what is where. I enjoy doing this, as it is a good preparation exercise for living on my own in the future. I think that being able to learn about the differences between the Japanese and Australian economies in this way is one of the best parts of studying abroad, and I now feel that I would like to visit more countries when I become a university student or an adult.

Gold Coast

Finally, school started on Monday. The school is about 10 minutes from the bus stop, a 10-minute walk from my house. However, the bus I was supposed to take did not arrive on time at all and I was almost late on my first day. On the way there, my host mother showed me the way and took the bus to school with me, but she was not particularly upset when the bus did not come, and I have now changed my mind that it is normal for buses not to come on time. In Japan, I use the train every day, but it basically comes on time, which I am very thankful for. On the first day, there were speaking, vocabulary, reading and writing tests to sort the students into classes. The Intensive General English course is divided into five classes: Beginner, Elementary, Pre-Intermediate, Intermediate, Upper-intermediate and Advanced, and there are various other courses such as Cambridge Exam Preparation and IELTS Exam Preparation courses. As my study abroad this time was a ‘language course’ and a ‘golf course’, I chose the General English Course + Golf course. This course consists of 21 hours of lessons per week plus 2 hours of golf lessons. On the afternoon of the day of the test, the class placement was announced and I was in the Intermediate level. I was very happy because I had heard that most Japanese students start at Beginner or Pre-Intermediate level.

English plus Golf

This is my timetable (above). I have a test every Monday, so on Sunday nights I prepare for the test by reviewing the contents of the textbook. I heard that if I fulfil certain conditions in this test, I can move up to the next class, so I will continue to work hard so that I don’t cut corners. The next day classes started in earnest and I was surprised when I walked into class. There’s no one my age?! I asked the person sitting next to me how old he was and he said 25, and then I asked another person and he said 30, which was very confusing because I thought I was entering a school where there were usually people of my age. The nationalities of the students seem to come from South America, Asia, Europe and many other countries to study at this school. During the first week, I was really struggling to understand the language after listening to the lessons and going home to review them, and I didn’t make any friends because there were no students of my generation. I asked the school if I could change to a course where there were more people my age, but after I heard about the other course, I decided to stay with my current course. I was told that the course had a lot of students going on to Australian high schools and it will be focused on more academic and there are a lot of homework given every day, which I thought I might not like.)

BROWNS Gold Coast

On my first weekend, I went to a kind of aquarium and amusement park (Sea World) with two Japanese university students I met at school, and enjoyed the whole day. I hadn’t been to an aquarium at all in the last few years, so it was a lot of fun after a long time. However, there was one thing I failed to do that day, I forgot to apply sunscreen. It was a sunny day and I spent the whole day outside in the sun, so I got very sunburnt that day alone.

Gold Coast

In the second week, I gradually got used to the classes and some people in the class started speaking English to me. During break time, everyone eats a few snacks and I spend time outside the classroom talking to my classmates and their friends. I was also able to play golf with a Swiss boy who approached me when I was in the school carrying my golf bag. The golf course was very busy that day and we had to wait a lot, but two old men in the group in front of us offered to play with us to save time, and the four of us ended up playing together. I was surprised because such a thing rarely happens in Japan, but we called each other “nice shot” and had a good experience in the last few holes. We played 18 holes in the heat without a break, so both he and I were exhausted by the time we finished. He is going home first, so I will invite him to play with me again before he leaves.

English plus Golf

Well, the next week, I was able to go to the beach, which I had always wanted to do, and I took a surfing lesson with a friend and enjoyed two hours of instruction and practice together. The last time I surfed was when I was in primary school in Hawaii with my family. It had been too long and the waves were too strong that day for me to get up on the board. Just when I was starting to think I was getting used to it, the time had come, so I would like to try again next time.

Gold Coast

It’s been a month and a half and I’m getting used to life here. I feel a little sad to think that I have only half a month left, but I want to enjoy the rest of my study abroad experience to the fullest before I return to Japan. It is a little depressing to think that once I return to Japan, I will have to start studying for the entrance examinations in addition to the study I have missed, but I decided to study here because I believe I can do it, so all I can do now is to do my best.

https://brownsenglish.edu.au/

Japanese

こんにちは‼ 高校1年の菊地悠介です。

現在、オーストラリアのゴールドコーストという都市に来て、はやいもので既に1ヵ月半が経ってしまいました。

僕が留学したいと思い始めたのは、去年の10. 11月頃と割とつい最近のことです。高一の終わりが見え始めるにつれて、自分は今年何が出来ただろうと考えた時に、勉強や部活では良い成績を収めることが出来たけれど、それ以外特に行動を起こしていないなと思いました。高二になると、大学受験に向けての勉強が始まり到底海外に行く時間はない、、、行くならこの高一の三学期の今しかない!というのが留学しようと思い始めたきっかけです。他にも同じ学年から2人も1年間海外に留学する人がいたことが、少なからず影響したと思います。準備に十分の時間はなかったのですが、両親、学校の先生方やエージェントの方のサポートもあり無事出国することが出来、今こうして充実した留学生活を送れているので、本当に感謝しています。

今回の僕の留学は、「語学留学」兼「ゴルフ留学」というものです。英語力やコミュニケーション能力の向上はもちろんのこと、今まで自分のものの見方、考え方をこの留学で新しい価値観を得ることによって発展させ、将来の糧になるような経験をすることが今回の目的です。それに加え、日本に比べ、より充実した練習環境のあるこのオーストラリアで今まで以上にゴルフに対して真剣になって練習に取り組むことで、この先の僕のゴルフ人生に良い刺激を与えたいと考えています。

この便りでは、オーストラリアに着いてから経験したことについて日記のように書いていきます。

日本からゴールドコーストまでは、飛行機で約8時間、時差は+1時間と比較的近い場所に位置しています。

2月3日の夜に日本を出発して、次の日の早朝にオーストラリアに到着しました。夜の出発だった為、飛行機の中で寝て、起きた時には着いていました。特別寝心地が良かったわけではないですが、飛行機を下りると、オーストラリアは日本と季節が反対で、ゴールドコーストは、日本での8月の下旬から9月の初旬のような気候であり、冬の日本から来た僕はとても暑く感じました。ゴールドコーストの夏は日本の夏とは異なり、湿度はそこまで高くないため蒸し暑くはないのですが、日差しがとても強く基本外ではサングラスをかけて過ごしています。

検査場を抜けて待っていたのは、ホストファミリーではなくエージェントでした。横断幕掲げてWelcome Yusukeのようなものを期待していた僕は、当然あれ?というような感じはしましたが、送迎の運転手の方がとても気さくで、ホームステイ先のお家に到着するまでオーストラリアについて色々と話していただき道中退屈せずに済みました。車に乗っている際に、車の車線が日本と同じ左車線!ということに気付き、海外の国のほとんどが右車線だと思っていた僕は驚きました。窓から見オーストラリアの景色は当然のことながら日本とは大違いで、そびえ立つオフィスビル群もなく、青空が綺麗に見えました。

ホームステイをさせて頂くお家に到着すると、ホストファミリーが出迎えてくれました。ホストファミリーは、トルコとニュージーランドの夫婦で、15歳の男の子がいました。なんとその子、テニスの大会で優勝したようでホストファザーもテニスのコーチをやっているそうで、練習で夜遅くに帰ってくることもありました。家にはなんとプールが付いていて、とてもテンションが上がりました!夏に毎日プールに入れる幸せはないですよね。その後は、ホストブラザーと卓球を少ししながらお話をして、初日は疲れているでしょうということで特にどこにも行かず、部屋でゆっくり昼寝をしてその日は過ごしました。

到着が土曜日だったので、翌日の日曜日はホストファミリーと一緒にショッピングセンターに行きました。中はとても広く、どこに何があるか迷うことがあります。スーパーに入ってまず思ったこと、ものの値段が高い‼ 普通のポテトチップスが約500円、、、調べてみると、日本の最低賃金が1072円に対し、オーストラリアの最低賃金は2030円と約2倍でした(Yahoo調べ)。こうして考えると、この物価は割と妥当なのかなとも思いましたが高いものは高いです。しかし、ただ単に全ての商品が高いわけではなく、週ごとに特別価格などの商品があり、半額になったり2つでいくらなどのサービスもやっているようです。僕は、両親から毎月自由に使えるお金をもらえるので、いかに安く済ますかなど結構頭を使って買い物をし、支出はexcelにまとめて管理しています。将来一人暮らしをする際のよい準備体操のような感じで楽しくやっています。このように日本とオーストラリアの経済の違いを知ることが出来たのも、留学の醍醐味だなと思い、大学生や大人になったらもっと様々な国を見て回りたいなと感じるようになりました。

さあついに月曜日から学校が始まりました。学校は家から10分ほど歩いたバス停から約10分のところにあります。ところが、乗る予定のバスが全く時間通りに来ず、危うく初日から遅刻するところでした。行きは、ホストマザーが道を案内して一緒にバスに乗って学校まで行ってくれたのですが、彼女はバスが来なくても特に慌てておらず、今ではバスは時間通りに来ないことが普通であると認識を改めています。日本では電車を毎日使っていますが、基本定刻にくるのでそれがとてもありがたいことだと改めて感じ入っています。初日はクラス分けをするためのspeaking, vocabulary, reading, writingのテストがありました。一般英語コースは、クラスは初級、初中級、中級、中上級、上級と5つに分かれていて、ケンブリッジ試験対策やIELTS試験対策コースなど他にも様々なコースがあります。僕の今回の留学が「語学留学」兼「ゴルフ留学」ということで、一般英語コース+ゴルフというコースを選択しました。これは週21時間の授業に加え2時間のゴルフレッスンというものです。テストを行った日の午後のうちにクラス分けが発表され、僕は中級でした。日本人は大抵、初級・初中級から始まると聞いていたのでとても嬉しかったです。

これが僕の時間割です。毎週月曜日にテストがあるので、日曜日の夜は教科書の内容を見直したりしてテスト対策をしています。このテストでは、一定の条件を満たすと次のクラスに上がれるそうなので引き続き手を抜かないように頑張りたいと思います。

次の日から本格的に授業が始まり、クラスに入って驚きました。同世代がいない?!隣の席の人に何歳ですか?と聞いたら25歳、、、また違う人に聞いたら30歳、、、同世代が普通にいる学校に入ると思っていたのでとても困惑しました。生徒の国籍は、南米、アジア、ヨーロッパなど様々な国からこの学校に学びに来ているようです。初めの1週間は、授業を聞いて家に帰って復習してやっと理解することに精一杯で、同世代もいないため中々友達も出来ず本当にどうしようという感じでした。同世代が多くいるコースに変えられるかと学校に相談したのですが、他のコースの内容を聞いてもう少し頑張ってみようと思いました。(そのコースはオーストラリアの学校に進学する生徒が多く、勉強が大変で毎日宿題も多いらしく、それはそれで少し嫌かなーと思ってしまいました。)

初めての週末は、学校で知り合った日本の大学生2人と、水族館兼遊園地のようなところへ一緒に行き一日満喫しました。ここ数年水族館に行くことが全くと言っていいほどなかったため、久しぶりに行くととても楽しかったです。しかし、その日失敗したことが一つ。日焼け止め、塗り忘れました。その日は快晴で日差しが強い中一日外で過ごしたので、その日だけですごく焼けました。その日を教訓に、最近では日焼け止めを塗るようになりましたが、着実に黒くなっていっているので、日本に帰ったら一人だけ季節を先取りしているようで少し浮きそうですが、もはや諦めています。日焼けの跡は海へ行って上書きするのが手っ取り早いと思うので、海に行ける日が待ち遠しいです。

2週目に入ると、授業にも次第に慣れて、クラスでも英語で話してくれるような人もでき、休み時間になるとみんな軽食を少し食べるので、僕も教室の外に出てクラスメイト達やその友達の人達と会話をして過ごしています。また、僕がゴルフバッグを担いで学校内に居たときに声をかけてくれたスイスの男の子と一緒にゴルフをすることが出来ました。その日はゴルフ場がやけに混んでいて度々待つことになったのですが、途中で前の組のおじいさん2人組が時間短縮にもなるから一緒に回ろうと言ってくださり、4人でプレーすることになりました。日本ではそのようなことはほとんどないので驚きましたが、ナイスショットーなど声を掛け合ったりして、最後の数ホールでいい経験が出来ました。暑い中18ホールを休憩なしで回ったので、僕も彼も終わる頃にはくたくたでした。彼の方が先に帰ってしまうので、その前にまた誘って一緒に回ろうと思います。

さて次の週、念願の海に行くことが出来ました‼友達とサーフィンのレッスンを受け、説明と練習合わせて2時間ほど楽しみました。サーフィンは小学生ぐらいの頃に家族でハワイに行ったときにやったのが最後でした。久しぶりすぎる上に、その日は波も強く中々ボードの上に立てませんでした。少しずつ慣れてきたかなと思い始めたときに時間が来てしまったので、また今度リベンジしたいと思います。

3月に入ると、諸事情によりホームステイ先が変わることになりました。18歳未満を受け入れることが出来る家庭は厳しい審査などがありとても少ないと聞いたので、変わりのお家が見つかって本当に良かったです。新しいホストファミリーは、インド人の家庭で子供が2人います。隣の部屋には、日本人の同い年の高校生が2人います。彼らとは時間割が違うため平日は夜しか会うことがないですが、週末は一緒に遊びに行ったりしています。

滞在が1ヵ月のようで、僕よりも先に帰国してしまうのは残念ですが、日本でも機会があったらまた会いたいです。

動物園に行った時の事も書こうと思います。その日のメンバーは全員日本人でした。ゴールドコーストには想像以上に日本人が多く、街中を歩いていても日本語が聞こえてくるので驚きます。午後のクラスには、日本人が結構いるようですが、午前にはほとんどいないので学校ではあまり日本語を話すことがありません。動物園では、まず入って最初にコアラを抱っこすることが出来ました‼とても可愛く、ずっと抱っこしていたかったのですがすぐに終わってしまいちょっと残念でした。オーストラリアで有名なカンガルーがいました。しかし、見に行った時間がちょうどお昼寝タイムだったらしく、えさをあげようとしても目をつぶったままでなかなか食べてくれませんでした。帰る間際にもう一度違うカンガルーのところへあげにいったら今度は少しだけ食べてくれました‼一日かけて動物園を見て回る予定だったのですが、お昼ご飯を食べて少し見たら14時ごろまでには全部行きつくしてしまったので、動物園を出て海へ行きました。

ゴールドコーストの都市は海に面しているので、基本どこへ行っても海が見えます。動物園の近くの海はとても色が綺麗で入りたかったのですが、水着を持ってきていなかったので泳ぐことが出来ず、ズボンをまくって足だけで我慢しました。風がとても強く波も結構あったので、結局ズボンも濡れてしまいました。ちょうどその時海で結婚式を挙げていた人たちがいて、風で白いドレスがバタバタ揺れていて大変そうではありましたが、こんなに綺麗な海で結婚式を挙げられるなんていいなと思ってしまいました笑。海を走り回って疲れた頃に解散をして、夕飯は日本の知り合いと偶然留学時期が重なったので一緒に食べることになりました。ホームステイ先が変わるまでほぼ一人でご飯を食べていたので、久しぶりに美味しい夕食をしゃべりながら食べることが出来てとても楽しい時間でした。

ここからは、僕の一日の生活について書こうかなと思います。

僕の一日は、朝6時半から始まります。僕は起きる時間と寝る時間を基本変えない主義なので、毎朝その時間には絶対に起きるようにしています。起きた後は、朝食を準備します。本来はシリアルをさっさと食べて朝ごはんは終わりとなるので特に時間はかからないのですが、僕の場合は日本でも朝からがっつり食べるタイプなので到底それだけでは足りない為、自分で買って作っています。作ると言っても、ハンバーグとソーセージを焼いてパンに挟んで食べたりのような感じではあるのですが、それでもある程度お腹は満たされるので毎朝作るようにしています。

食後は学校へ行く準備を始め、7時半に家を出ます。

学校は8時10分から始まり、2時間総合的な英語の授業があります。この授業ではクラスのレベルごとに分けられた教科書を使って、Reading, Listening, Speaking, Vocabulary, Grammarなどを学びます。Grammarは、助動詞や完了形、受動態など、既に日本で学習した内容なのですが、日本語では分かる文法単語でも英語で言われると新しいことを学んでいるような気になります。その授業が終わると20分の休憩を挟んで、今度は科目ごとに特化した授業がまた2時間あります。しかし僕の場合は、木金がゴルフのレッスンが入っているので、この授業は週に2回火水にだけ入っています。

月曜日はテストだけなので学校は午前だけで終わり、午後はゴルフの練習をするようにしています。

こっちの練習場は、練習代があまりかからずアプローチグリーンやパターグリーンもただで使えるので、日本にいる時よりも圧倒的に練習環境は充実しています。

火水は午後に何も予定が無いので、基本は家に帰って1時間ほど昼寝をして、走りに行くようにしています。3ヵ月という期間がちょうどいいので、この機に肉体改造をする気でいます。すでに1か月ほど経ちましたが、変化が目に見えて結構手応えを感じています。筋トレはモチベーションが大事なので目に見える変化は嬉しく、少ししんどくてやりたくない時でも、周りの人に肉体改造をして日本に戻ると宣言をしたので逃げ場はなく続けることが出来ています。自分でもどこまで仕上げられるか楽しみです。

木金は授業が午前の2時間だけで、1時間の自習時間で学校は終わりです。午後はゴルフのレッスンが約30分あります。コーチはもちろん日本人ではないので英語で話すのですが、日本に少し住んでいた時期があるようでちょくちょく日本語を混ぜて指導してくれます。ただ自分でひたすら練習をしているよりも、レッスンを受けて本当に良かったと思っています。4月半ばには、ゴールドコーストで開催されるジュニアの大会にも出場する予定なので、毎週こつこつと練習を続けています。

土曜日は日本と違い、学校が無いので友達とどこかへ遊びに行ったり、買い物に行ったりしています。朝はゆっくり寝ていたいのですが、こっちに来てからというもの何故か毎日5時半に目が覚めてしまい、二度寝もなかなか出来ず、休日でもなかなか疲れがきちんと取れず少し大変です。日曜日も特にすることは決まっておらず、どこかに遊びに行く人がいればそこについて行くというような、行き当たりばったりの週末が大体です。

約1か月半が経ち、こちらの生活にもだいぶ慣れてきました。あと半分と思うと少し寂しいような気持ちもしますが、残りの留学生活を存分に満喫して日本に帰りたいと思います。日本に帰ったら、遅れた分の勉強に加え、受験に向けた勉強が始まるのかと思うと少し憂鬱ですが、自分ならできると信じて留学を決めたのであとは頑張るだけです。

オーストラリアに着いてからの出来事を全部書いていたら、こんなにも長くなってしまいました。

読んで頂きありがとうございました。