The Ultimate Australian Road Trip – Northern Territory (NT)
Written by Anna, Diego, Enrica & Camilo – Intensive General English (Advanced level) BROWNS students.
Fun Facts about the Northern Territory (NT):
- The annual Alice Desert Festival is easily the equal to anything the other “cool” states can propose. Fifty thousand people converge in September each year, with dozens of upcoming local bands, dance groups, talent performers and indigenous artists on display
- Darwin hosts a real race between camels called Camel Cup
- Uluru is the biggest rock monolith in the world! It is 3.6 kilometres long, 1.9 kilometres wide, 9.4 kilometres around and 348 metres high.
- Visit one of the world’s largest desert nocturnal houses at the Alice Springs Desert Park and come face to face with some of Australia’s shy desert wildlife.
- Alice Springs is the closest Australian town to every beach in the country
Darwin & around:
- Darwin is the capital of the Northern Territory
- Named ‘’Darwin’’ since 1911 after naturalist Charles Darwin
- Year-round tropical climate averaging 30°C
- The didgeridoo, famed instrument of the indigenous Australians, originally came from Arnhem Land, just east of Darwin.
- Arnhem land
– Aboriginal Cultural region
– Different landscapes
- Berry Springs Nature Park (40min drive from Darwin)
–Water holes filled with crystal clear, cold water
–Perfect for swimming
- Crocosaurus Cove (in the centre of Darwin)
–Go for a swim in the ‘’cage of death’’
Popular places outside Darwin:
- Kakadu National Park (2h drive from Darwin)
- Litchfield National Park (1,5h drive from Darwin)
Alice Springs & around:
There are at least 80 things to do around Alice Springs:
- Must do: see Uluru & Kings Canyon
- Nature & Wildlife Areas
- National Parks
- Art Galleries, Museums
- Hiking Trails
- The Kangaroo Sanctuary, a 188 acre wildlife sanctuary for rescued orphaned baby and adult kangaroos
- You can visit the Sanctuary on a guided sunset tour from Tuesday to Friday
Where to party:
- Darwin: Opium, Ducks Nuts Bar & Grill, The Precinct Tavern.
*This article was written by students and should be used as a guide only. If you have any questions about travelling around Australia, we recommend you contact Backpackers World Travel.
- Western Australia
- Road Trip – Perth
Click here to read all the articles relating to The Ultimate Australian Road Trip.