The Ultimate Australian Road Trip – NSW / ACT
Written by Anna, Diego, Enrica & Camilo – Intensive General English (Advanced level) BROWNS students.
Fun Facts about New South Wales (NSW):
- Sydney (the capital city) is Australia’s most populated city with an estimated population of 5.2 million people
- The top five languages spoken in NSW are: Mandarin, Arabic, Cantonese, Vietnamese and Greek
- The top five countries of birth for people in NSW are: England, China, India, New Zealand and the Philippines
- It has a total area of 800,642 km2 and covers 10.4 percent of Australia. New South Wales’ coastline is 2137 km long.
Pacific Coast Beaches:
- BYRON BAY – The Legendary beach is famous for surfing and an alternative lifestyle. If you’re a surfer, Byron actually has 5 great beaches to choose from. Don’t miss the Lighthouse Walk to Australia’s most easterly point.
- COFFS HARBOUR – Red Rock is about a 30 minute drive north of Coffs Harbour and is one of those hidden gems that is tucked away 6 km’s off the Pacific Highway
- Sydney beaches
- Bondi to Coogee Coastal Walk
- Famous beaches, our favourite’s would be Bronte Beach in the eastern suburbs. It’s a beautiful beach with a small main street giving it a great vibe. And scenically incredibly beautiful Palm Beach, Sydney’s most northern beach.
- Opera House & Harbour Bridge (top attractions)
- Taronga Zoo Sydney
- Wild Life Sydney Zoo
- Queen Victoria Building
- Australian Museum
- Sydney Harbour National Park
Where to party:
- Byron Bay: Cheeky Monkeys and Woody’s Surf Shack
- Sydney: Oxford Street, Darling Harbour
Day Trips from Sydney:
- Hunter Valley
If you want to discover everything, it will take three days and the best option of transport is a car (The prices are $170 – 250 dollars depending on the vehicle and company)
Accommodation, we have actually many options, such as hotels or backpackers.
- Blue Mountains & Jenolan Caves
How to get there?
– The drive from the heart of Sydney to Katoomba is about 90 minutes via the M4 Motorway. The must see places include villages Springwood, Woodford, Wentworth Falls and Leura
– There are regular trains from the city’s Central Station, with the express service arriving in Katoomba in less than two hours with stops at Parramatta, Westmead, Penrith and Springwood
– For the Aboriginal Blue Mountains Walkabout, take an ordinary train to Faulconbridge
What to do there?
– Hiking tours
– Rock-climbing – For more information https://bmac.com.au/
– Wilderness adventures tours – Expeditions, Fishing Tours, Lake Fishing Tours
– Canyoning – Great Canyon, Wollandambe Canyon, Juggler Canyon, Tiger snake Canyon and much more.
- Jervis Bay
The Guinness Book of Records reports that Hyams has the whitest sand in the world.
Greenfield Beach is another pristine beach in the Jervis Bay region with that beautiful white powdery sand.
GREEN PATCH BEACH:
Booderee National Park where it is located, and it was just as spectacular as Hyams in nearby Jervis Bay.
- Pebbly Beach Road & Canberra
Located in Murramarang National Park on the NSW south coast, Pebbly Beach is probably most famous as the place to see wild kangaroos hopping around on the sand.
In Canberra you could visit :
Driving from Canberra to Melbourne
Go through the Australian Alps to go skiing or hiking depending on the time of the year.
Starting at the capital we will drive to Snowy Mountains and then to Albury crossing, the mountains on the North side of the Alps.
From Albury, we will take the M31 to Benalla where we will start our trip to Mount Buller. Here we can do all sorts of activities like skiing, hiking, sled dog tours or just relaxing at the spa.
Our last part will be the way to Melbourne where we will take a flight to Hobart in order to visit the Tassie island.
*This article was written by students and should be used as a guide only. If you have any questions about travelling around Australia, we recommend you contact Backpackers World Travel.
- Road trip from Sydney to Cairns (written by Joseph & Misaki – BROWNS Intensive General English students)
Click here to read all the articles relating to The Ultimate Australian Road Trip.